Electronic Chart Display and Information System
Samsung ECDIS SSEC-1000M provide the mariners with all necessary information about ship's
navigation. The main functions of ECDIS is used to plan the route and to monitor the navigation.
Also, ECDIS supports some information such as avoidance of collision and weather information.
SSEC-1000M designed to be complied with the specification of IMO and IHO for electronic
chart display and information. It is important to display the chart in an efficient method for ECDIS.
SSEC-1000M is built in a modular and structured manner. It manages the chart database and
overlays routes and navigation information in a fast way. That's the strong point of SSEC-1000M.
SSEC-1000M used a C-MAP's kernel software to manipulate formats of electronic chart. CMAP
produces and maintains the largest commercial database of digital charts in the world. C-Map
by Jeppesen and ENC data from Hydrographic Offices are distributed in the same format enabled a
unique dual-fuel, vector-vector solution to end users in a SENC(System Electronic Navigational
To give mariners the flexibility for selecting chart data,SSEC-1000M supports three kinds of
electronic chart formats. Thus, mariners can construct chart database based on the needs and
availabilities of chart for the specific areas.The chart formats are :
● S-57(ENC) : the official IHO transferred standard for digital hydrographic data. S-57 defines
a number of object for chart data in a vectorized format.All the elements of a nautical chart
are represented in terms of objects with related attributes and geodetic primitives.The display of
S57 chart data is based on the IHO ECDIS presentation library;
● CM-93/3 : Jeppesen's CM93/3 chart database format which includes all the information and
structures necessary for a fully conformable system and more. CM93/3 is based on the same
powerful structure defined in the IHO S-57 standard; The CM93 is a topologically complete
vector format and not a deviant raster approach, inconsistent with the performance requirements
of the IMO specifications. The CM93/3 database can be automatically converted into and from
the S57 official digital data.
● ARCS : the hydrographic chart raster format developed by the United Kingdom
Hydrographic Office(UKHO) to supply digital nautical charts for use in Electronic Chart
Systems. The chart format is designed such that display equipment can handle the raster image
rapidly without having to re-format the chart.
SSEC-1000M is consisted with several light-weighted threads. The threading method is used for
its efficiency in the parallel execution of several tasks such as network communications between
MCU and I/O module, displaying chart and nautical data on screen, and receiving weather
While implementing SSEC-1000M, the following standards and rules are referenced to:
• IMO MSC.232(82): 2006, Revised performance standards for ECDIS;
• IEC 61174: 2008, ECDIS - operational and performance requirements, methods of testing and required test results.
• IMO MSC.191(79): 2004, Performance standards for the presentation of navigation-related information on shipborne navigational displays
• IEC 62288: 2008, Presentation of navigation-related information on shipborne navigational displays – General requirements – Methods of testing and required test results
• IHO S-63: 2008, IHO data protection scheme edition 1.1
The CD-ROM drive is used for chart database. Most major chart suppliers such as Jeppesen
and UKHO normally deliver charts in CD-ROM forms. All necessary software components